From the Events of History

The Seat of the See of St. Mark
1. Alexandria was the seat of the See of St. Mark from the days of St. Mark until Pope Shenouda II (65).
At first, it was in the house of Anianus, then in St. Mark’s Church (Baucalis). When that church fell into the hands of the Romans, the seat was transferred to the other Church of St. Mark (Al-Qamhah).
2. During the period of the Chalcedonian persecution, when all the churches of Alexandria were taken over, the most well-known residence of our Popes was the Monastery of Al-Zujaj.
3. During the periods when the Popes of Alexandria were compelled to leave their See, their most well-known places of residence were: Damirah, Mahallat Daniel, and the monasteries of Scetis in Wadi El Natrun.
4. In the time of Pope Christodoulos (66), in the 11th century, the See was transferred to Misr (Cairo), and its seat became the Hanging Church in Old Cairo.
5. In the 12th century, Pope Gabriel ibn Turaik (70) transferred it to the Church of St. Mercurius (Abu Seifein) in Old Cairo.
6. It was then returned to the Hanging Church.
It continued to move between the Hanging Church and the Church of Abu Seifein until the beginning of the 14th century.
7. It was then transferred to the Church of the Virgin Mary in Harat Zuwayla during the pontificate of Pope Yoannis VIII (80) in the year 1308, and it remained there until the 17th century.
8. It was then transferred to the Church of Harat al-Rum during the pontificate of Pope Matthew IV (102) in the year 1660, where it remained until the beginning of the 19th century.
9. It was then transferred to St. Mark’s Church in Azbakeya during the pontificate of Pope Mark VIII in the year 1809.
10. It was then transferred to its present seat at the Monastery of Anba Roueiss during the pontificate of Pope Shenouda III, where the Great St. Mark’s Cathedral is located, where the new Papal Residence was established, and where the Theological Seminary and all the religious institutes are located.
An article by His Holiness Pope Shenouda III, published in El-Keraza Magazine, Year Eight, Issue Twenty-Seven, July 8, 1977.
For better translation support, please contact the center.



